In the past, Windows applications development used to be a complex and time taking process. However, developers can now build efficient Windows apps in less time using advanced technologies like intelligent IDEs and code editors. These tools simplify the process of developing apps and enhance the productivity of developers by providing tools and functions which enhance the developer’s coding process to make it as efficient as possible. As a result, developers code faster and develop Windows software quickly.
If you’re a developer looking to develop Windows software faster with less coding, you definitely need a Windows app development tool. In this article, we’ll show you the five best platforms for Windows applications development so that it’s easier for you to choose the right one for your needs.
Table of Contents
Why do you need a Windows applications development tool?
Windows app development tools make the process of coding smooth and quick. Using these tools, you can create high-performance native Windows apps with less code. These tools also help improve code quality by minimizing coding errors and bugs. Additionally, they allow you to test your code at any time using automated testing tools. Hence, a good Windows app development platform helps businesses bring their products to market faster.
There are different types Windows applications development tools available in the market. However, if you want a complete native Windows development platform, a Windows IDE is the best option. IDE software (Integrated Development Environment) comes with all the tools you need to write and test code efficiently. These typically include a code editor or text editor, a Windows compiler, and a debugger. Good IDEs also allow you to develop cross-platform apps.
What are some of the best Windows applications development platforms?
While there are many IDEs and Windows app development tools, not every tool comes with the features you need. However, there are also some powerful platforms that offer tons of impressive features to create functional and cross-platform apps.
Here are the five best Windows app development platforms that you can use for your next project:
RAD Studio – The ultimate IDE software for cross-platform and native Windows applications development
Embarcadero’s RAD Studio is one of the leading and most powerful IDEs for developing native Windows apps. It supports both Delphi and modern C++ and offers a comprehensive set of tools and features. These include a code editor, an efficient debugger, a powerful compiler, a C++ code formatter, a VCL framework, and more. It can handle any type of project you’re working on, be it flexible cloud services or broad IoT connectivity. Additionally, it is super easy to use.
Here are the key features of RAD Studio that make it the best IDE:
A cross-platform app is an application that can work on different operating systems/devices, such as Windows, Android, and iOS. These apps help businesses reach a wider audience. With RAD Studio, you can develop high-performance apps for multiple operating systems using a single code. This means you only need to write code once, and then you can compile it on any major OS, such as Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
With RAD Studio, you can create efficient and functional apps five times faster. It offers multiple features for faster Windows applications development, such as:
- Smart code navigation to get you to definitions and uses of your code’s methods, classes and functions
- Auto code completion to help you code even faster and save you needing to remember lists of parameters and constructs
- Array suggestions while assigning arrays
- LSP awareness of
includefiles and more
- Configurable code formatter for automating the layout of Delphi and C++ code
- Hints and tips from inline documentation while coding
FireDAC Data Access Library And Enterprise Connectors
FireDAC is a multi-device universal data access library that has a powerful universal architecture. It is great for creating apps on different devices connected to the database of the organization. FireDAC allows you to connect to more than 20 traditional databases, both SQL and NoSQL.
Embarcadero’s CData Enterprise Connectors enable developers to connect to more than 180 enterprise systems through standard SQL. These include Slack, Amazon Marketplace, Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft Teams, Jira, Salesforce, and more.
Better Code Quality
RAD Studio comes with several features for improving code quality:
- Error Insight for automatically finding coding errors and solving them instantly
- Built-in refactoring for streamlining and improving the performance and readability of apps
- Integrated DUnit and DUnitX frameworks to build unit tests for code
- Well-tested and highly-optimized cross-platform libraries
RAD Studio allows you to add your own plugins and components, depending on your requirements. You can also add a variety of third-party plugins and add-ons.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2022
Microsoft Visual Studio 2022 is a 64-bit IDE that offers a complete set of tools for quick Windows program development. It is among the most popular IDE tools for Windows. It uses Microsoft software development platforms, such as Windows Forms, Windows API, Windows Presentation Foundation, etc. The IDE comes with .NET 6 and supports MAUI and Blazor apps.
Here are the key features of the IDE:
- Razor editor that is capable of refactoring across files
- Cross-platform app development
- Blazer for building responsive Web UIs in C#
- Hot reload capabilities
- AI-powered code completions
- Allows developers to collaborate in real-time
- Extensions for customizing and enhancing the IDE
PyScripter is a popular IDE for Python developers that offers all the tools and features you need for creating high-performance Python apps. These include a Python profiler, built-in terminal, integrated debugger and tester, and more. Additionally, PyScripter also supports web development with Django, Flask, and more.
Here are the key features of PyScripter IDE:
- Syntax Highlighting Editor
- Integrated Python Interpreter
- Full Python debugging with support for remote debugging
- Integrated Unit testing
- Integration with Python tools like PyLint, TabNanny, Profile etc.
- Full support for encoded Python source
- Remote Python Debugger
- Run or debug files from memory
- Code Explorer
- To Do List
- Find and Replace in Files
- Integrated regular expression testing
- Choice of Python version to run via command line parameters
- Run Python Script externally (highly configurable)
- Link to SSH tunnels for remote debugging on platforms like Linux, macOS and cloud providers
- Modern GUI with docked forms
- Persistent configurable IDE option
Here are the key features of Apache NetBeans:
- Highlights code syntactically and semantically
- Supports code refactoring
- Cross-platform app development
- NetBeans profiler for that helps optimize speed and find memory leaks
- GUI design tool
- Support remote development
IntelliJ Idea is another popular IDE for Java as it provides complete support for Java EE 7 and Java 8. The IDE comes with a complete set of tools for building functional apps for multiple platforms.
Here are the key features of the IDE:
- Smart and framework-specific coding assistance
- Efficient code completion
- Code analysis
- Powerful refactoring tools
- Automation tools
- Integrated VCS
Which Windows applications development platform should I use?
All of the five Windows app development tools we’ve discussed in the article offer great features. However, my choice is RAD Studio which I think leads the pack with its impressive features, such as cross-platform and native Windows app development, tools for faster coding, FireDAC data access library, enterprise connectors, and more. Using the very easy to learn Delphi language or C++ RAD Studio has always been about low code. Not the amount of code which goes into the app, but the code you personally have to write.
The hugely rich component-based development environment which leverages the hugely competent VCL for raw native power on Microsoft Windows or the versatile, go anywhere FireMonkey FMX framework to target pretty much every operating system and device you can think of including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android means you are a “can do” developer.
- Does your customer or solution require a desktop app? Fine – RAD Studio can do that.
- A desktop app which has versions for the very latest versions of Windows, macOS and Linux? RAD Studio can do that.
- Do you have legacy desktop code you want to reuse to create a mobile companion app? RAD Studio can do that.
- Do you want to save huge amounts of time with a low code wizard to get your mobile app off to a flying start? RAD Studio can do that.
- What about using the same program code for all the mobile apps? One set of code, whether it’s Windows, macOS, iOS or Android? RAD Studio can do that.
More importantly, if RAD Studio can do that – you can do that.
RAD Studio with Delphi or C++ Builder is loved by the developers who use it because it really does mean they can always answer “yes” to any kind of application a customer or user can ask for. All the popular databases, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle – not a problem. REST servers, cloud services, web apps? Yes, RAD Studio can do that and so can you.
The sheer versatility and ease of use of RAD Studio with Delphi or C++ Builder is my reason for choosing it as the best platform for Windows Development in 2022 and beyond. But not just Windows, the ubiquitous popularity of mobile phones and tablets mean you can’t afford to be “just Windows” so why settle for a system which makes it hard? RAD Studio makes you a “can do” developer not just on Windows but anywhere your customers have a need for your creativity and development skills.
Are you ready to develop high-performance cross-platform apps with the best Windows applications development tool? Start using RAD Studio today!
Design. Code. Compile. Deploy.
Start Free Trial Upgrade Today
Free Delphi Community Edition Free C++Builder Community Edition