Open source is a very important part of software development. As a creator of developer tools that makes open source important to us too. There is a huge variety of open source projects created with Delphi and C++Builder, both for the benefit of our developer community, and beyond.
A few examples of popular Delphi powered open source projects:
- HeidiSQL is an incredibly popular client for managing MariaDB, MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and SQLite, written in Delphi (of course it is – Delphi makes working with databases so easy!)
- Pyscripter is a very popular feature-rich but lightweight Python IDE
- Virtual-TreeView is a Delphi treeview control
- DelphiMVCFramework is a popular and powerful framework for web solutions in Delphi. Supports RESTful and JSON-RPC APIs development.
- Synopse mORMot ORM/SOA/MVC framework
- Alcinoe Component Library For Delphi Full OpenGL video player, WebRTC Delphi wrapper, native ios/android TEdit, Improved FireMonkey controls, Firebase cloud messaging, Android/iOS Facebook SDK login, Json/Bson Parser, ImageMagick wrapper, MongoDB client, and much more
- Robber for finding executables prone to DLL hijacking
- PortableApps provides portable software for cloud, local, and portable USB drives
- Dev-C++ a free, portable, fast and simple C/C++ IDE
- PeaZip a free Zip and Rar extractor
- Not to mention such staples as CnPack, GExperts, TurboPack, and Project JEDI
It makes sense that so many great open source projects would be using Delphi or C++Builder. Beyond making Delphi and C++Builder better (10.4 is coming soon), how can Embarcadero help? As part of the celebration for the upcoming release of 10.4 Sydney (did I mention it was coming soon?) we will be sponsoring a few select open source projects. Specifically looking for projects with heavy community involvement and that would benefit from some financial backing. This is subject to change, but you can read the current details here.
Submitting Your Project
- Publish your project on GitHub
- We know you may already be published elsewhere, but for right now we are focused on GitHub
- Review the requirements and tips (Make sure you can receive sponsorship)
- Create a short video overview of your project and future plans
- Follow @EmbarcaderoTech on Twitter
- Post the video with a link to your project on Twitter tagging @EmbarcaderoTech and using at least one of the hashtags #RAD104, #Delphi104, or #CBuilder104
- Complete this form with your information
- Keep updating and promoting your project
- Full details, requirements, and tips
- EmbarcaderoTech on Twitter
- Submission form
- This blog post
The release of 10.4 Sydney is a great time to update an existing open source project or start a new one! Even if you are not selected to receive sponsorship from Embarcadero following these tips may help you receive other sponsorship too!