Choosing the Web framework for Delphi/C++ Builder will no longer be a tough task for developers or companies to meet the business needs. There is plenty of resources around Embarcadero and the web about various frameworks with the pros and cons. Struggling to choose the right one for your need? Not to worry, this post will guide you through some of the available frameworks.
RAD Studio Included Server Technologies :
- Web Broker: Abstract the HTTP Server concept with concrete classes mapped to CGI, ISAPI, ApacheModules, Standalone(indy). It can maps URLs to actions, supports filters and global handlers. Get started with WebBroker.
- DataSnap is a Delphi technology that allows the development of multi-tier applications, most notably multi-tier database applications. Supports Rest, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS. Backward compatible with COM/DCOM. Check out these DataSnap tutorials.
- RAD Server Loads Delphi and C++ business logic methods into RAD Server, add some users, and go. REST/JSON end-points are auto-created and managed. Access control is handled. Data storage is built-in, or you can easily connect to any popular Enterprise RDBMS or cloud service.
- SOAP Services: SOAP data is transmitted using an XML wrapper, usually over an HTTP or direct TCP/IP. Check out this article on Creating and Consuming SOAP Services with Delphi.
RAD Studio Included Client Technologies : Which includes REST Backend as a Service (BaaS) Client, Cloud Client libraries, REST Client libraries, SOAP Clients.
3rd Party Web Frameworks:
Full Stack or Client/Server Focused: Framework covers the Server app and client interface. Balanced Approach good to choose when Both Server and Visually designed UI is one project. WebBroker is the core of the server for most frameworks listed below.
- AtoZed Software’s IntraWeb: Installs into IDE, Modeled on VCL, Visual Client Designer. The client was built from the JS and HTML library. Delphi UI event handlers run on servers, extensible via typescript.
- Open source Ethea Kitto2: Uses Web broker for the backend. No visual designer, make it easy to use Ext JS to build client.
Server Focused Open Source:
- Delphi MVC Framework: Rest Server built on WebBroker includes Delphi IDE wizard. Runs under Apache or ISS on Windows & Linux. Restful RMM level 3 compliant.
- Mars Curiosity: Lightweight Rest Server built on WebBroker, installs into Delphi IDE, Dataset support with FireDAC.
Hope this post give an idea on available framework and choosing the right framework for your projects.