Following the beta testing period and some blog post pre-announcing some of the key features (see also my blog), yesterday Embarcadero officially released RAD Studio 10.4 Sydney, which includes Delphi 10.4.
My Top Three Features
There are many new features in the product. For Delphi developers the key are:
- The first cut of Code Insight based on Language Server Protocol. This is a huge step for the product, a new foundation for the future of the “IntelliSense” capabilities. From this foundation, we’ll continue to improve and expand in the future. Top feature is completion within words — rather than starting with what you type. Nice side effects, much better red squiggles.
- The introduction of custom managed records. Records in Delphi are extremely powerful and handy (with methods and operators overloading) now custom initialization and finalization add more power
- The extensive enhancements on VCL, with support for High DPI Styles and new platform support with TEdgeBrowser control, among many other features (Per Controls styling, TTitleBar, Virtual Image component, updated API declarations…). FMX and RTL and many other areas got improvement, but the work on VCL has been really extensive for this release
There is way more in the product, this is just my personal take of the top 3 areas we worked on. Extensive bug fixing is another key element of 10.4, with one of the highest number of public reported bug fixed in a release. And the return of a very nice classic Delphi Greek helmet logo!
- The official RAD Studio 10.4 announcement by Sarina is at https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/rad-studio-10-4-now-available-learn-more
- Direct download of the online installer from the new download portal: https://my.embarcadero.com/#downloadDetail/692
- The YouTube What’s New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWWzd_yaig&feature=youtu.be
- The 10.4 Demos on GitHub at: https://github.com/Embarcadero/RADStudio10.4Demos
- What’s new web page: https://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/whats-new-in-10-4-sydney
- What’s new docwiki page: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/What%27s_New
- Minor features and list of fixed issues: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/New_features_and_customer_reported_issues_fixed_in_RAD_Studio_10.4
- Official press release: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200526005263/en/RAD-Studio-10.4-Accelerates-Native-Windows-Development (I’m even quoted in it!)
- Interested in a trial? https://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/start-for-free
- Feature matrix (PDF): https://www.embarcadero.com/docs/rad-studio-feature-matrix.pdf
Learn more about RAD Studio 10.4 and download your 30 day free trial from our website