Embarcadero is pleased to announce the release of Delphi 11, C++Builder 11 and RAD Studio 11. RAD Studio 11 Alexandria builds on the feature set of the 10.4 releases and offers many new features, including an improved user experience with a High DPI IDE.
In this blog post, we want to highlight some of the main new features and enhancements in RAD 11. This release introduces numerous new capabilities, enhancements, and quality updates in key areas.
Table of Contents
Key New Features
Key New IDE Features and Enhancements
- RAD Studio 11 adds high-DPI support to the IDE: This improves daily developer activities with full support for the latest 4k+ monitors, with cleaner, sharper fonts and icons, and high-resolution support throughout the IDE windows including in the VCL and FMX form designers and code editor. You can now design your forms directly at multiple scales and in high resolution.
- VCL Styles add design-time support: Prototype stylish UIs even faster by seeing immediately at design-time how your styled forms and controls will look when running.
- Multi-monitor and multi-window improvements: you can design and edit code for the same form at the same time in multiple windows, including ‘pulling’ the form designer from one window to another. This allows you to mimic the benefits of the old floating form designer in the modern IDE layout, including across multiple screens
- Welcome Page: Completely rebuilt with the VCL (removing browser dependencies), the new page has a native look and feel and a UI that fits the IDE, plus is easy for you to customize in layout and content.
- C++ Code Formatter: Automate the layout of your C++ code using clang-format.
- Numerous Code Insight (DelphiLSP) improvements based on developer community feedback and requests.
- Remote Desktop: Improved remote desktop support (for VCL and IDE).
- FireMonkey design-time guidelines: Prototype faster with visual lines for moving and aligning controls (similar to the VCL), with enhanced margin and padding support.
Many VCL components updated to new features in the Windows API:
- Rich Edit component updated: A new implementation removes XP dependencies and brings additional features into the TRichEdit control, including: URL detection, spell checking, background color and transparency.
- TreeView CheckBoxes: Support for CheckBoxes in TreeViews added, with each node supporting 3 states (Partial, Dimmed, Exclusion) to help customise the UI
- New TDBLabeledEdit component offering a data-aware version of the TLabelEdit for faster prototyping.
- Large collection of minor VCL improvements including default form size and font, exception dialog copy button, Coolbar improvements, margins on Memo and RichEdit, Optional Group box frames and many more.
Key FireMonkey Platform Enhancements
- Improved FMX High-DPI support for Windows and Desktop applications with a visibly superior desktop UI, driven by an updated scaling engine that has been moved from physical to logical coordinates.
- Support for Microsoft’s WebView 2 control (Edge Chromium) in the WebBrowser component.
- RAD Studio 11 supports the latest Android 30 API and latest Billing APIs, and also migrates to use the AndroidX libraries.
- Android support for multiple classes.dex files, simplifying integration of external Android dependencies.
Target Platforms and Compilers
- macOS 64bit ARM compiler and toolchain that includes building universal binaries for Intel/ARM AppStore submissions.
- Delphi language support for binary decimals and digits separator.
- C++ toolchain improvements include overhauled Delphi-style RTTI for C++ types (allowing using components built with Clang in the IDE), including using typeid on Delphi-style types; improved C++-style RTTI for Delphi types; CMake quality improvements, and greatly improved exception handling on both Win32 and Win64.
Key Run-Time Library Enhancements and More
- RTL Quality focus: TZipFile, 64bit improvements for large data structures, Bluetooth LE
- Record Helper for TDateTime in System.DateUtils. Makes common date and time tasks faster to code, and code cleaner to read. Examples include getting the first date of the Month or Year, or converting to a Unix date format, checking AM/PM, finding out if it’s in a Leap Year, etc.
- Record Helper for TCurrency in System.SysUtils makes working with Currency simpler and easier.
- C++ RTL improvements focusing on Delphi interop include using make_shared<> and make_unique<> with Delphi classes; string_view support for Delphi strings; easy Delphi/C++ string conversion including being able to directly assign a Delphi string to a C++ string and vice versa; and Delphi core data type (such as TDateTime, Variant, etc) conversion to and from C++ strings using to_string() and from_string().
Enhanced Delphi Code Insight with LSP
- LSP awareness of Include (.inc) files used in a .pas file
- Auto restart of LSP server
- Auto code completion with Tab key
- Class helper support
- Array suggestions when assigning arrays
- Use of Visual Studio Code to edit Delphi source with full code completion, thanks to LSP support as part of your license
- FireDAC in the new release offers specific improvements for the PostgreSQL, Oracle, and Firebird databases
- The HTTP and REST client libraries have been extended with timeout mechanisms, support for HTTP/2, TLS 1.3, Base64 URL Encoding
- A new component TRESTRequestDataSetAdapter simplifies uploading datasets to RAD Server
- A new low-traffic RAD Server Lite allows unlimited deployment of your multi-tier solutions, alongside with the fully scalable RAD Server engine
- For DataSnap, the REST URL mapping logic is now fully configurable
This release includes specific fixes for over 650 issues reported by customers on Quality Portal (QP) plus over 110 new features requested by customers on the same portal (Notice that QP synchronization is not immediate)
Ready to Go
Product trials for RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder 11 are now available and the updated product builds are live in the online store. Customers on Update Subscription can download and install RAD Studio 11 today using their existing license and will receive an email announcing the new release availability. Downloads are available for download in the new customers portal at my.embarcadero.com.
For more information, you can check:
- The What’s New in 11 Alexandria page, in the revamped Embarcadero website
- The more detailed What’s New page in the DocWiki
- The list of customer reported issues addressed in RAD Studio 11
- The RAD Studio feature matrix at www.embarcadero.com/docs/rad-studio-feature-matrix.pdf
- RAD Studio 11 demos on GitHub
We are very happy with the work our team did for RAD 11 and we are certain you’ll equally enjoy using the new version of RAD Studio, C++Builder and Delphi.
Design. Code. Compile. Deploy.
Start Free Trial Upgrade Today
Free Delphi Community Edition Free C++Builder Community Edition
Great news that so many issues have been addressed and new features have been added. Unfortunately, as it’s not been released as 10.5, but as version 11, my existing Community Edition licence doesn’t support the upgrade. Could you comment on when it will be possible to upgrade from the Community Edition 10.4.2 to a Community Edition 11, please?
I’m glad you’re finding the 10.42 Community Edition useful. 10.42 Community Edition has only just been released and has a load of great features so, right now, there are no plans in the near future to release a RAD Studio Community Edition based on version 11. That doesn’t mean it will or will not happen, just that, right now, it’s not even something anyone is actively considering as the focus is on the commercial release of RAD Studio 11. There is a free trial of Version 11 Alexandria if you want to try it out to see if moving to a paid license would be appropriate for you.
That is, it will happen at the earliest when version 12 is released, so the Community edition is always at least one major version behind. This behaviour is bad enough in itself, but the mealy-mouthed inability to spell it out and admit it displayed here, that can’t really be called anything much more flattering than despicable.
The Community Edition has always been made available towards the end of the release cycle of a version. It is by design and there is no denial, we have always mentioned it when we did previous releases and it is part of our business model. A delayed release is part of the plan because there are a lot of professional developers using the CE version and asking for a new CE to help their business. CE is not a free version for professional developers, and people who used it as such are violating the product license.
I don’t know where you accusation comes from, but we have always been clear about CE policies including the delayed release model. The fact you don’t like the rules should not justify your negative wording. CE is not a free ride to use our software.
> we have always mentioned it […] I don’t know where you accusation comes from
I was replying specifically to Ian Barker’s comment, which trivially disproves your “always”.
Hi Marco and Ian: Thank you for your comments. Could you give me an indication as end will be of the current release cycle will end, please? I note there has been a 11.1 release for example, but no change to the version of the Community Edition (which annoyingly can only be found out by trying to download it and inferring from the filename that it is still 10.4.2).
Incidentally, I am not a professional developer (I have retired and am interested in maintaining/enhancing some software for personal use), so I don’t think the comment about violating the licence and having a free ride to use your software is relevant to me.Similarly, the comment about me moving to a paid licence is not an option as I have limited means.
I’ve valid 10.4.2 C++ Builder installation (a 2 years subscription plan) that expires 30/8/2022. Should I not be able to upgrade to 11 or ?
The installer complains about an invalid serial number
There is a hiccup with license refresh and update. At time manually hitting update in license manager works, if not please ask Embarcadero support. You are certainly entitled to the new version!
I have the same trouble.
Don’t update license in License Management, but in my.embarcadero.com there are liceses is refreshed with Delphi 11 professional.
Please see Marco’s comment above. Support can help you resolve issues it you’re still blocked from being able to use the product – we certainly don’t want that!
I am trying to install RAD Studio 11.
After the invalid-license-problem, i was running in the missing-bds.exe-problem.
Using workarounds for these two obstacles I am now stopped at the point:
Exception EStackOverflow in module rtl280.bpl at 00120A91 Stack overflow
How do you get on from there – an idea?
having same problem with rtl280.bpl
for me it happens on IDE exit after 4-6 seconds
did you solved it?
At least the German version of C++ Builder 11 comes with the 10.4. help files. This looks strange.
Hi Knud, if you can definitely reproduce this then please raise a ticket on the Quality Portal here:
There is an updated version of the help file at https://docs.embarcadero.com. Select RAD Studio e German language and you’ll see the ZIP file for download
Hi, over a month later and we’re still waiting for Boost for the classic compiler, when is this coming?
I know the ticket (https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-35356) says you can install it manually from a previous install but with several machines to set up I’d rather do it the automated way.
Hello Robin. This is now available in RAD Studio 11 Alexandria.
Hi. I see no mention of the math performance improvements which were part of the 10.5 roadmap. Are they included in version 11? If not then are they still coming?
The work on floating math performance was postponed and it’s on the table for a future release
Hi all, is an updated version of RAD Server included in RAD Studio 11? I’m on subscription licences and I already use RAD Server for push notification and other modules, but iOS push notiifcation doesn’t work anymore, is it due to HTTP/2 Apple deadline at March 31st 2021? Is this issue resolved in a new RAD server version that (I hope) supports HTTP/2? Thanks in advance!
Yes, RAD server gets regularly updated and if I remember correctly that issue was addressed