Table of Contents
Announcing FMXLinux Bundling with Delphi and RAD Studio
I’m pleased to announce that Embarcadero Technologies has reached an OEM distribution agreement for FMXLinux with Eugene Kryukov.
Customers with an active subscription to the Enterprise or Architect editions of Delphi and RAD Studio can now download, install, and use FMXLinux to build FireMonkey applications for the Linux 64-bit platform. FMXLinux can be used to add Linux as a platform to an existing FireMonkey app or to create entirely new FireMonkey for Linux apps.
FMXLinux extends our Linux platform support from server to desktop and kiosk scenarios, bringing FireMonkey client UI development to Linux. This is a long-term distribution agreement, not a one-time offer, so we expect to continue supporting Linux clients via FMXLinux in future versions of RAD Studio.
The add-in is available via GetIt in Delphi and RAD Studio 10.3.1. Once installed, you’ll have all necessary files on your system, as well as an IDE wizard to assist you in managing projects in the IDE.
FMXLinux extends RAD Studio’s (Delphi Edition) FireMonkey cross-platform framework to enable the development of GUI applications for Linux. It enables the development of client applications for organizations adopting Linux clients (we’ve seen an increase in requests from Russia and Brazil), as well as self-service kiosks (computers running a single application full screen) and other scenarios where the cost of a Windows license is a significant issue. A common example is a self-service airline check-in counter that runs Linux and provides the customer with a Linux GUI app for checking in to their flight, adding luggage, performing seat upgrades, and so on.
- FireMonkey for Linux provides the ability to create GUI applications for Linux, extending Delphi’s FireMonkey cross-platform framework.
- FMXLinux expands Delphi’s support from server applications to FMX client applications for popular Linux distributions.
- Includes several ready-to-use user interface styles
- Many of the FMX components, such as grids, widgets, etc. work seamlessly on Linux clients.
- Leverage RAD Studio’s innovative features, such as Live Bindings, and much more, in your Linux client applications
- Leverage GTK+ with Broadway support to run an FMXLinux application as an HTML5 web application in the browser
- DocWiki documentation: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/FireMonkey_for_Linux
- FMXLinux website: https://www.fmxlinux.com/
- FMXLinux app in action: https://youtu.be/3mw20kUCXho
We are very happy to expand the power of Delphi and FireMonkey with enhanced support for the Linux platform and look forward to hearing about your Linux client projects.