The application migration process can be easy or tedious, depending on the technology you are migrating. Moreover, migrating legacy projects to a new development environment might take a vast amount of time because of new software from scratch – re-engineering.
Application migration is a broad term for the technological realm. Application migration can be deploying the app to another cloud service provider. Or it can be migration from one technology to another, for instance, .NET to Delphi FireMonkey. It can be migration from legacy to a whole new up-to-date technology from scratch. Moreover, this can be the migration of databases and the migration of platforms to one another.
How to know when there is a need for migration?
- Most of us know that if the UI is not modern and UI controls are like the 2000s, it needs migration to a newer version of the technology.
- If your app has problems with new operating systems and new architectures and can not work smoothly, therefore there is a need for migration.
- If there is no official support for the technology that you are utilizing, you just need to migrate to a newer version or other modern technology on the market.
How to prevent migration issues?
Problems arise all the time – there are always risks of migration for any technology. The migrated source code can work fine as it was, but if there are no good architecture techniques, you still have the same old code. So, having a good and enough knowledge about the technology and being able to apply new modern patterns can be a real and worth migration.
Moreover, you also need to think about the components and libraries that you have used in your previous project. If there is no alternative to those libraries you need to spend more time to develop them or port them to a newer version.
Why migrate to Delphi?
Delphi is one of the market-leading rapid application development environments. You can build native and cross-platform applications several times faster.
- Single Code Base for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, and Linux – Even you can use that logic in web apps using 3rd party tools with Delphi.
- Cloud aware and a wide range of database components
- Responsive UI and fast prototyping for mobile apps
- Enormous component set from hundreds of component creators
- Cross-Platform Low Code Wizard to create fully functional apps in under 30 seconds
How does migration offer the opportunity to cut dead features?
Since you are thinking about migration, you perform business analysis and create new cases and remove unneeded code in your code.
While re-writing and refactoring, you can achieve neat code and even make code work faster by giving tweaks.
How to migrate from .NET to Native and Cross-Platform Delphi FireMonkey
Since the designer of the C# and Object Pascal is the same distinguished engineer, the languages are similar in several ways. But there are some syntax differences. To be able to successfully re-write in Object Pascal – check out the Object Pascal Handbook by Marco Cantù.
From the Delphi language version 10.3, Delphi allows more flexibility in the declaration of local variables and type inference for inlined variables. This gives more flexibility when migrating.
Furthermore, if you are utilizing RESTful web services in your project, there is a similarity between C# and Delphi developers. For instance, you can create a class for JSON to manipulate data easily that most C# developers love. Besides, Delphi FireMonkey provides hundreds of components to handle thousands of different operations easily.
In addition to that, you can utilize .NET run-time libraries within Delphi using a third-party runtime environment which cuts several days of re-writing libraries.
Be sure to check out to learn why you should choose Delphi to your next project!
You can download a free trial of RAD Studio Delphi by clicking here