TMS Smooth Controls Pack is COOL

I have just downloaded and installed  "TMS Smooth Controls Pack" from the Delphi registered users site and I’m totally impressed. This is exactly what Delphi needs out-of-the-box. TMS components look slick, elegant and modern. Delphi’s getting old? No way. It continues to be the best IDE and the visual component development is in the heart of RAD or "Rapid Application Development" invented with Delphi 1. It makes such a difference what visual component you are dropping on the form and manipulate via Object Inspector.

Here is the description from the download:

"The TMS Smooth Controls Pack provides sophisticated looking and smoothly animated controls for Delphi and C++Builder 2009.

This special edition, available to registered users of Delphi 2009, C++Builder 2009 and CodeGear RAD Studio 2009 as part of our special promotion for purchases during March 2009 includes the full control set in binary format.

The TMS Smooth Controls Pack is provided by a third party, tmssoftware.com bvba (TMS Software)."

… so make sure to upgrade to Delphi 2009 / C++Builder 2009 NOW:-)

1. ahmoy | March 24, 2009 at 4:12 am | Permalink

"Delphi’s getting old? No way"

sadly, yes. the ide getting worse after version 7 and there is no visually improvement to vcl since very long time ago.

2. Pawel | March 24, 2009 at 6:48 am | Permalink

@ahmoy, I would strongly disagree. Delphi improves on many different levels including new and improved VCL controls (Ribbon!, Vista Support), build and project management (inheritable build configuations and option sets), new memory manager (FastMM), new language features and new database architecture (DBX4, DataSnap) to name just a few. It is so easy to dismiss Delphi in this way. Delphi 7 was a great release, but many things have improved over time:-). Check out very good Andreano Lanusse whitepaper on ""Reasons to Migrate to Delphi 2009" (http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/26707)

3. Ken Knopfli | March 24, 2009 at 8:02 am | Permalink

The moment monitors get bigger, Windows controls also get bigger and swallow up the new available real estate.

It’s a never-ending struggle trying to present all the info the user demands.

80% of my customers have their Windows in "classic" style.

4. ahmoy | March 24, 2009 at 10:20 am | Permalink

well, you got few points there but can we take these as must important factors?
    - the newer ide is slower compare to delphi7
    - less stable
    - takes more memory (not that important as the memory is cheaper now)
    - the standard control, especially the grid is out of date?
    - still cannot do skinning, relies on third party?

yes, there is a lot of improvement onto the delphi language but for me (and the customers) the environment to build application and application’s visual presentation is also important to!

5. Fabio Santos | March 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

What I liked most was those girls on the contact list.

6. Pawel | March 25, 2009 at 7:42 am | Permalink

@Fabio, they come out-of-the-box with Delphi 2009;-)

7. Carlos Agnes | March 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Ahmoy, have you ever worked (for real) with any Delphi newer than Delphi 7? Once using BDS 2006 (or newer), you’ll never back to Delphi 7.

8. Giel | March 25, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I happened to use "the old computer" some time ago, and stumbled across Delphi 7. I played a bit with it, given the mythical status it seems to have these days. It was a pretty disappointing experience actually. It wasn’t any faster than D2007 is on my Vista machine. The floating forms look messy now, the refacturings were missing, everything feels rather old-fashioned. The only good thing about it is the help file. I definitely don’t want to go back to Delphi 7!

9. Eduardo Scherrer | March 25, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Ahmoy… you should take a better look at Delphi 2009.
    Since Delphi 7 there are a lot of enhancements. I will just list some of them:
    -bunch of new components (look at the beauty of the Ribbon Controls)
    -100% Unicode
    -now you can configure different builds
    -code editor enhancements like Sync Edit and Refactorings
    -new debugging features
    -new Datasnap features
    -Generics !!! And Have you ever heard about Together ?
    Well mate… I recommend you to read the Andreano Lanusse whitepaper - "Reasons to Migrate to Delphi 2009"

10. ahmoy | March 26, 2009 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Yes, there are a lot of improvement into Delphi, no doubt about it.
    But at the same time the newer IDE seems like also introducing bad stuff to the previous proven feature!!!

Giel,
    oh yeah… for you now you will say the Delphi7 looks messy. wait until the new VS coming out and you will switch back to Delphi7 interface then!

11. Jim McKeeth | March 31, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

@ahmoy I use 2006, 2007 and 2009 for daily development (mostly 2007, but moving to 2009 - yippee!) and I had some old Delphi 7 legacy code (that need to stay in Delphi 7 for now) that popped up recently. Delphi 7 was a little snappier, but not much. I really missed all the new IDE enhancements though.

Delphi 2006 was pretty slow, I will give you that, but 2007 and 2009 have been huge steps forward. Change can be tough, but I think the new IDE is a great foundation to build on.

12. Turker Tunali | December 15, 2009 at 7:55 am | Permalink

We are using Delhi2006 and we never look back to legendary Delphi 7. It just works as expected. I believe that Delphi 7 lovers just don’t want to leave 7.