My Delphi 2009 Top 5

What do you like the most in the new Delphi 2009? There is an interesting thread on forum.barnsten.com. Here is my personal Top 5:

1. Full Unicode support throughout the product - from the new UnicodeString type in the compiler, throughout RTL, VCL and the whole IDE
  2. New Language Features in Delphi language - generics and anonymous methods
  3. New DataSnap architecture, based on DBX, for lightweight, client/server applications
  4. Improvements in the VCL including new Ribbon controls. A bunch of brand new VCL components, like TButtonedEdit, TBalloonHint, TCategoryPanelGroup, and improvements to existing ones, like new "Alignment" property in TEdit (finally!), support for images in TButton and many others
  5. Improvements in the IDE: new Class Explorer, new Resource Manager, Named Build Configurations and Option Sets, more flexible Project Manager.

If you want to see new Delphi 2009 features live, make sure to register for "Take a First look at Delphi 2009 and C++ Builder 2009 - Database Development - Beyond the IDE" workshops:

1. Michael Madsen | September 4, 2008 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

My top 5 is:

1. Unicode
    2. Generics
    3. Unicode
    4. Built-in support for PNG (no need to bother with components)
    5. …did I mention Unicode yet?

2. Kyle Miller | September 4, 2008 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

I will know what my favorite features are once I download it, which isn’t going to happen until the Software Assurance notices go out. Hurry! :-)

3. Jolyon Smith | September 5, 2008 at 1:12 am | Permalink

My top 5:

1. Reasons to be cheerful about the future of Delphi (ongoing and increasing renewed interest in it)
    2. Generics
    3. VCL improvements
    4. On-going documentation improvements (see 1, above)
    5. Reinforces committment to native code (see 1, above)

Unicode is nice to finally have - but falls outside of any "Top" N list due to the way it is implemented.

Paradoxically, I need Unicode, but the implementation means that it represents an obstacle to upgrading to D2009, not an incentive.

But I appreciate that I am in an unusual position - not as rare or unique as many think, I suspect, but unusual none-the-less.

4. Ken Knopfli | September 5, 2008 at 9:37 am | Permalink

1. Generics (really only that)

(Others will surely emerge when I get my hands on it)

Bottom
    10. Number of supported Win versions reduced.

9. .NET still prerequisite for IDE (In the old days, we proudly boasted that Delphi is written in Delphi.)

8. No mechanism yet for reducing ever growing .exe size.

One of the major reasons for targeting Win32 is to ensure widest possible easy distribution. This advantage is slowly being eroded with each release.

5. Bart Roozendaal | September 5, 2008 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Apart from your list, plus the very wanted upgraded password characters in the Tedit component, are there any other??

6. Fabrizio Bitti | September 5, 2008 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

We are also having events in Milan and Rome in italy.

These are the details: