Earlier this year we were playing a blog-tag game to name your 5 favorites in Delphi 2007 for Win32. I liked the game very much. What about starting a new round so everybody knows what do you like the most in CodeGear RAD Studio 2007?
Here is my list:
- Generic types in Delphi language. At the end Delphi is all about programming. At least for me;-) The last time I was so excited about Delphi language innovation was with operator overloading introduced in Delphi 2006 for Win32 compiler. Now we’ve got generics. Currently in Delphi for .NET compiler only, but according to Delphi Roadmap the next version of Delphi (codenamed "Tiburon") will bring the support for generics also on the native side of Delphi. The open question remains: are we going to see generics in the VCL?
- Blackfish SQL. A new database engine from CodeGear. This is truly unique technology. CodeGear Blackfish SQL for .NET is fully managed, SQL 92-compliant, transactional, zero-administration RDBMS engine with 1,3 MB footprint. In fact there is no similar solution on the market today. What is really cool is the possibility to run Blackfish in-process. Ideal solution for small devices. There are two highly compatible versions of Blackfish SQL: one for .NET and one for Java. If you install CodeGear JBuilder 2007 there is an option to install JDataStore 7 - a Java version of Blackfish SQL for Windows. JDataStore Explorer has no problems opening Blackfish SQL database files created with RAD Studio 2007 Data Explorer.
- ASP.NET 2.0. The most important new feature in Highlander, I mean RAD Studio 2007, is Delphi for .NET compiler support for .NET 2.0. From the perspective of IDE designers the most important new feature is the support for ASP.NET 2.0. I like the term "improved start-from-scratch-ability" coined by Jim Tierney, CodeGear R&D Engineer, that was demonstrating Delphi ASP.NET 2.0 development during recent RAD Studio 2007 Developer Days. Now you easily add your own CSS stylesheets, or use one of the preconfigured ones, in order to not to start from scratch with your new Delphi ASP.NET projects.
- Visual Query Builder. If you right-click on a database node in the Data Explorer and select "SQL Window" option - you are going to be surprised. The Visual Query Builder allows building sophisticated SQL queries with your mouse, instead of your keyboard. Visually create inner joins and all these difficult SQL that you would never write without a SQL manual waiting somewhere handy on your table.
- Support for .NET 3.0 technologies in Delphi for .NET compiler. It is neither CodeGear, nor Delphi, goal to try to chase all interesting technologies around. For me one of the most interesting new technologies are "Avalon" and "Indigo". These used to be codenames for something currently known as "Windows Presentation Foundation" and "Windows Communication Foundation". The sheer fact that you can use Delphi 2007 for .NET compiler to build WPF and WCF applications is just great.
I hope that eventually we are going to see VCL support for "Avalon" and "Indigo".
And now it is YOUR turn:
You are "it"! Tell your 5 favourite things about CodeGear RAD Studio 2007 and do not forget to tag others:-)