The release of "Highlander", now known as CodeGear RAD Studio 2007, means some changes for the product that you all have come to know and love, Delphi 2007 for Win32.
First, many of you have already seen Update 3 for Delphi 2007 for Win32. It is a bug fix update, providing hundreds and hundreds of fixes for an already very solid product. These fixes were the result of building the RAD Studio, and of course we wanted our loyal customers to have these. Many of you are enjoying the added performance and stability, and if you aren’t, select "Check for Updates" from the Start Menu, and you’ll be informed of the new update. (You can also go here for more information about Update 3. You can also download the setup executable.).
But as a result of Highlander, we’ve also provided an upgrade to Delphi 2007 for Win32. That product now includes Blackfish SQL RAD Studio Edition. as well as the DBXClient technology so that you can connect to Blackfish from a Win32 client. It also includes updates to the dbExpress metadata classes that allow you to control and manage the metadata in a dbExpress Database.
This new product is called Delphi 2007 for Win32 R2, "R2" standing for "Release 2". R2 is what you’ll get if you buy Delphi 2007 for Win32 today. Delphi 2007 for Win32 R2 includes Update 3. In the Old School Terminology, this would be a "0.5" upgrade to Delphi 2007, but since the industry has moved away from good old version numbers, we use the "R2" terminology.
So, just to clarify that terminology:
- "Update" refers to small, generally bug fix improvements to a product. Updates will generally be delivered via the online update mechanism.
- "Release" refers to a new product upgrade with new features. We’ll be abbreviating this as "R2", etc. going forward.
So, here are a couple of use case scenarios:
- A couple of months ago, you bought Delphi 2007. You were recently advised about an update, and it ran, and you now have Delphi 2007 for Win32 with Update 2.
- You go here today and buy and then install Delphi 2007. You will have Delphi 2007 for Win32 R2 installed. Your install will have all the fixes from Update 3 included.
- A couple of months ago, you bought Delphi 2007. You just updated it to Update 3. You then buy RAD Studio, and install it. The installer will install all three personalities over your Delphi 2007 Update 3. You now have the latest version of everything and all the features that are available today.
- You have Delphi 2007. You are getting RAD Studio this week. You don’t have to install Update 3 before RAD Studio. RAD Studio will update your system to include Update 3.
If you guys have questions, I’ll answer them in the comments, and also update this blog post with further information.
- Support and Maintenance Customers will be able to download the install and get their keys online.
- We’ll be getting an ISO download up very soon.
- You can install just the Win32 personality of RAD Studio, and then later install the other personalities.
- If you are planning on installing RAD Studio soon, you need not install Update #3
- The bits in Delphi 2007 for Win32 R2 and CodeGear RAD Studio 2007 are the same.