Celebrating 29 years playing with developer tools here in Scotts Valley

Today (June 17, 2014) marks 29 years working here in Scotts Valley with our developer tools. Philippe Kahn hired me and I started working for Borland International on this day in 1985. I continue to have tons of fun learning about programming, software architectures, tool chains, frameworks, devices, APIs and more. I wrote a blog post in 2011 detailing some of my journey for the first 26 years here. During the past 3 years we have extended the experience for developers into multi-tier, smartphones, tablets, devices and gadgets. Our team members around the world continue to devote themselves to moving the development process forward expanding what developers can do with one codebase on Windows, OSX, iOS and Android.  Our public product and technology roadmap continues to look forward while we also keep updating the quality and reach of our existing products, platforms, frameworks and technologies.

How long can I continue on this journey, helping developers and cheerleading software development around the world (physically and virtually)? For me, I can continue as long as the software engineering learning, fun, challenges, and opportunities keep on keeping on. Also, as long as I can wear tie dye.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me throughout my career. Thank you to our customers and the many industry experts that I can call my friends. Thank you to the Embarcadero worldwide team for graciously helping me. Most importantly, thank you to my family for allowing me to share my time with all of you.

What started with my first Fortran program, a prime number generator running on Cal Poly’s IBM 360 model 40 has turned into a non-stop computer science and software engineering fun fest for the past 45 years. I know I still have a lot more demos and applications to design, code, compile, debug and deploy.

It’s a wonderful programming world! Come join the software development fun with Embarcadero’s RAD Studio and Appmethod.

Sincerely,

David Intersimone "David I"

1. Steve Jordi | June 17, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

David,
    I think that we all enjoy you sharing your experience and competences.
    I did start using Turbo Pascal in in 1985 and Turbo C 2.0 back in 1989… but did start programming in Fortran back in 1980.

I consider Philippe Kahn as the one guy who brought software development to the public, out of the then so-called mainframe world.
    And you are the one who brought the tips and tricks to the public. We are grateful for this. So may people keep their knowledge for themselves.

Keep up the good work and hopefully, you’ll stay a long time on that great journey of yours in the developer’s world.

Steve - Geneva, Switzerland

2. Wilfred Oluoch | June 18, 2014 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Thank you for sharing, David.

I fondly remember coding in BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN back in the day on minicomputers with 1MB hard disks that were as big as a cymbal.

Like @steve, I recall that Philippe Kahn was my hero, too.
    Back in the days of Turbo Pascal, Turbo C and Turbo Assembler.

Of course, Anders Hejlsberg rocks as well. As does the entire team that has built these products over the years.

Looking forward to better and better Delphi versions.

Cheers!
    Wilfred - Nairobi, Kenya.

3. Darian Miller | June 18, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Thank you for your continued passion to share knowledge!

4. Adriana | June 18, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

!! Congratulations !!
    one million thanks and:
    Keep On Going!!!!

5. Gary Mueller | June 19, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Thank you for all your efforts. I have been an avid user since TP4 and the first commercial software I bought for personal use was Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.0! I was slowly able to get that adopted at work and when Delphi 1.o came out it fit our Engineering applications so much better than VB3 could at the time. I really wish I could have attended one of Philippe’s Chili feeds at BorCon but when I got to meet and talk with you for just a few minutes at the conference in San Fran in 2005 more than made up for it. Look forward to all your future work!

6. Tran | June 20, 2014 at 9:32 am | Permalink

I started learning programming since 1989 using Turbo Pascal 1.0 and loved everything about it. After 25 years, I can proudly say that nothing has changed :-))

7. Mohit Sindhwani | June 26, 2014 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Congratulations, David I. As others have already commented, thank you very much for your dedication to the craft. There have been disagreements and tough spots in the history of the tools business but C++ Builder has been my trusty tool for a lot of C++ development since 1998. Cheers to the next 10 years!