I am sitting at London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 at the end of a great week in Denmark and England using RAD Studio XE4 and Delphi XE4. Many thanks go out to the 42 enthusiastic developers who spent two days with me in Nyborg Denmark at the Dapug Delphi XE4 workshop. We spent the two days building DataSnap and Delphi for iOS applications. It was wonderful to see all of the developers creating new Delphi mobile applications in just a few minutes. Thanks, also, to the happy developers in London yesterday at the London Underground Museum. It was great to see so many developers interested in prototyping their apps, testing them and deploying them to devices in just a few seconds. Some of the developers were connecting from their PCs to my Mac and my iPad. It was fun to see different apps appearing on my devices and also on the projector. If you don’t have a Mac, connect with a friend who has one. You can also "rent" time on Macs via the Internet if you don’t have one or can’t afford a Mac Mini or a used Mac.
Some of the topics that the developers learned included:
- Starting with pre-built project templates for common iOS apps
- Using Layouts, Anchors and Alignment to ensure that your apps look great on iPhone (3GS and later), iPad (all iPads and iPad Mini) and iPod Touch (Fourth Generation and later) devices.
- Creating Form Families - Loads the correct form depending on the target device when developing different forms for iPhone vs iPad/Landscape vs Portrait
- Seeing how FireMonkey for iOS uses native iOS controls and APIs for message alerts, custom pickers (ComboBox), date picker (TCalendarEdit), virtual keyboards (default, alphabet, email address, name phone pad, number pad, numbers and punctuation, phone pad, and URL).
- Achieve warp speed app development using gestures, extended actions and components (TCameraComponent, TLocationSensor, TMotionSensor, TOrientationSensor, TWebBrowser, TeeChart and Indy components) and platform services.
- Connect to local and remote databases, datasets, data sources, XML and DataSnap servers.
- And much, much more
- RAD Studio XE4 Product Reviewers Guide - http://www.embarcadero.com/resources/white-papers/application-development?download=103
- The Delphi Language for Mobile Development (white paper by Marco Cantu) - http://www.embarcadero.com/resources/white-papers/application-development?download=102
- Delphi iOS application development tutorials - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE4/en/IOS_Tutorials:_Delphi_iOS_Application_Development