In my RAD Studio XE3 October 16th quick video, Using TMS Software’s Grid for FireMonkey (TMSFMXGrid), I showed you how to create Windows and Mac applications using the Live Binding Designer, TMSFMXGrid and an InterBase database. In this short video, I will show you how to create a multi-tier and multi-platform application that includes a Windows DataSnap server and Windows and Mac DataSnap client applications. The client applications get the database metadata and data via TCP/IP in JSON packets sent between the server side database via the DataSetProvider and the client side ClientDataSet via the DSProviderConnection. I use the LiveBinding Designer to connect the ClientDataSet to the TMS Grid for FireMonkey. Two Target Platforms are used to build for the Windows and Mac operating systems.
Additional information about DataSnap, building multi-tier applications, LiveBindings and TMS Software’s Grid for FireMonkey can be found using the following URLs:
- Building Multi-Tier Applications with DataSap - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE3/en/Developing_DataSnap_Applications
- Multi-Platform Application Development - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE3/en/Developing_Cross-Platform_Applications
- TMS Software’s TMS Grid for FireMonkey Developers Guide - http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/manuals/TMS%20Grid%20for%20FireMonkey.pdf
- Deploying FireMonkey Applications to the Mac - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE3/en/Mac_OS_X_Application_Development
- LiveBindings - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE3/en/LiveBindings_in_RAD_Studio
- LiveBindings Designer - http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE3/en/LiveBindings_Designer
- JSON - http://www.json.org/
Note: I edited the video and this blog post while on American Airlines Flight 1912 from San Jose Airport (SJC) to Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) using the GoGo inflight Internet service. I will update the URLs for the video download and watch on YouTube when I have faster bandwidth to upload the videos. This will happen either during my stop over at DFW or when I reach my final destination in Sao Paulo Brazil for our Embarcadero Delphi Conference 2012.
XE3, LiveBindings, DataSnap and the TMS Grid for FireMonkey
Watch on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2aVGg-rQjo
Duration: 8 minutes and 58 seconds