31 XE3 quick videos in 31 days - Oct20 - Multi-Tier Multi-Platform AppDev using DataSnap and TMS Grid for FireMonkey

In my RAD Studio XE3 October 16th quick video, Using TMS Software’s Grid for FireMonkey (TMSFMXGrid), I showed you how to create Windows and Mac applications using the Live Binding Designer, TMSFMXGrid and an InterBase database. In this short video, I will show you how to create a multi-tier and multi-platform application that includes a Windows DataSnap server and Windows and Mac DataSnap client applications. The client applications get the database metadata and data via TCP/IP in JSON packets sent between the server side database via the DataSetProvider and the client side ClientDataSet via the DSProviderConnection. I use the LiveBinding Designer to connect the ClientDataSet to the TMS Grid for FireMonkey. Two Target Platforms are used to build for the Windows and Mac operating systems.

Additional information about DataSnap, building multi-tier applications, LiveBindings and TMS Software’s Grid for FireMonkey can be found using the following URLs:

Note: I edited the video and this blog post while on American Airlines Flight 1912 from San Jose Airport (SJC) to Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) using the GoGo inflight Internet service. I will update the URLs for the video download and watch on YouTube when I have faster bandwidth to upload the videos. This will happen either during my stop over at DFW or when I reach my final destination in Sao Paulo Brazil for our Embarcadero Delphi Conference 2012.

October 20 - Multi-Tier Multi-Platform Windows and Mac Application Development using RAD Studio

XE3, LiveBindings, DataSnap and the TMS Grid for FireMonkey

Download: http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/29086

Watch on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2aVGg-rQjo

Duration: 8 minutes and 58 seconds

Size: 55.5mb

Format: MP4

For additional product information go to http://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio and http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsfmxpack.asp.

1. Allen Noland | October 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I was trying to set up a datasnap connection like this only I wanted to pass parameters. I set up the a tquery on the server, then providers on each side. From the tclientdataset I tried to "Refresh Parameters" and it gave me an access violation. Is it possible to use parameters through the datasnap connection?

2. maqiang | October 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

how long do you update the content

3. David Intersimone | October 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

maqiang: I am creating a new video each day in October. For October 20, I finished editing the video and uploaded it to CodeCentral on jet from San Jose to Dallas. Unfortunately, I did not have time to also upload to YouTube until I got here in Sao Paulo after a 10 hour flight and some rest. Oct 20 and 21 videos are now both up on my blog, on CodeCentral and You Tube. This is as fast as I could put them up in this case because of the long plane flight and slower bandwidth in my hotel in Brazi. I hope you are enjoying them.

Let me know if there are other topics I should cover in the quick video series :)

4. David Intersimone | October 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Allen - you can always create a DataSnap method on your server that would receive the parameter(s) and then on the server you could save the parameter values in the SQL Query component, re-fire the query and then back in the DataSnap client - refresh the metadata and data. I will try this myself and let you know - will be a good quick video :)

5. Allen Noland | October 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks David I..! I manged to run the right Google search and found the bug in qc 108904. It says resolved, i’m hoping that means it will be fixed with a hotifx or update. Any thoughts on how quick that could happen?

6. David I | October 29, 2012 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Alle n - I am just back from Brazil and will check with R&D on that QC # 108904.