RAD Studio XE3 preview page is now live on embarcadero.com

RAD Studio XE3 preview page is live. Watch the cool new opening video "Multiply Me" to open the first preview video.  Check out the RAD Studio XE3 Preview Page at http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-xe3-preview

In the coming days, you can get an early look at what’s new in RAD Studio XE3 – including Delphi, C++Builder, Prism, and HTML5 Builder plus a new XE3 version of the InterBase database.

Get ready to develop apps for Windows 8. Learn how to give your existing VCL and FireMonkey apps a new Windows 8 Metropolis UI style and functionality. See what’s new in FM2, the next generation FireMonkey application platform for targeting Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mountain Lion with Retina Display from a single codebase. And get a first look at HTML5 Builder, the newest member of the RAD Studio family!

1. Daniel | August 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I bought XE2 expecting to build IOS apps and could not because Firemonkey is no there, missing a lot of stuffs.

Now I will have to wait Q1 2013 and buy a new product? My business can’t wait anymore and can’t afford another expensive upgrade.

I’m very disappointed Mr. David I

2. Wouter | August 21, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Let me speak up for the other 99% of the delphi developers. This 99% is not that vocal, but we care mostly about windows desktop development. Multi-platform is nice and interesting, but not critical for the business.

Therefore, i have to say that i’m very pleased to see that most effort seems to be put in the thing that the majority of users need.

IOS pascal development is a tiny niche. It sucks for people like Daniel, but I can understand that this was not given the highest priority of all.

3. Peter | August 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I hope that all the FM & Mobile R&D won’t lower the Delphi VCL Desktop quality!

4. Brett Graffin | August 22, 2012 at 5:04 am | Permalink

I think the upgrades in XE2 were spectacular. And I am even more excited to see what is coming in XE3. XE2/3 are definitely a GOLD medals.

5. EverLivingDelphi | August 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Mr David I we all admire you.. but stop raping our pockets!!!!
    I bought XE2 + maintenance with promise of havig support for android..
    do I’ have the right to have the android plug in ??
    please don’t make me pay more for it

6. Andrew Fionik | August 23, 2012 at 6:07 am | Permalink

I am not impressed. The only thing I saw was the fancy UI things and the capabilities I will probably never use. I would like to see less fragile 64-bit debugger, more thorough and well designed help, more stable and responsive IDE and 64-bit perhaps. Unfortunately.

7. Mannie | August 28, 2012 at 4:15 am | Permalink

EULA Change: No Client/Server in XE3 Pro. Not even 3rd Party.

I don’t enjoy posting this news. I really don’t. I had hoped that my next post would be a more positive report following the Auckland leg of the XE3 World Tour this morning (and that will come later today).

But I feel this news is so important that it has to be mentioned, so here it is.

From XE3 onwards, your Delphi Professional EULA will prohibit you from using Delphi Professional for anything other than local data access.

If you want to build client/server database applications using Delphi Professional, you will be required to purchase a “Client/Server Add-On” pack.

This goes beyond the fact that you do not get (or can otherwise use or install) client/server drivers for the DBExpress or other “built in” data access frameworks, but extends even to 3rd party data access technologies.

That is, whatever you may be able to do or achieve – technically – using some 3rd party component or library with you Delphi Professional compiler, you cannot legally create a client/server application.

Never mind any 3rd party components or libraries, this same prohibition will apply even if you are using naked, unadorned Microsoft ADO.

GRANDFATHERING

It is worth mentioning that this will apply to new licensees only. That is, if you have a current XE2 or XE license and upgrade to XE3 (or presumably are on SA), then your rights (or rather the lack of any restriction in this area) from those prior EULA’s in this area will roll forward.

But if you fall outside the eligible upgrade window or are otherwise a brand new user, then this new EULA restriction will apply to you. Then again, with this restriction in place I don’t think we need to worry about any new Delphi users, do we ?

Not that this “grandfathering” is any great generosity on the part of Embarcadero. More likely they would have loved to put the screws down on all of us [Pro licensees], but I presume they were prevented from trying to do so only on the advice of their legal department.

And obviously, if you are an ISV with current Delphi Professional licenses then those licenses can be upgraded to XE3 and continue to be used to create client/server applications. But if you acquire any further new licenses for new staff members (your Delphi team is growing, right?) then those new licenses will be prohibited from being used for client/server application development.

So if your existing application is already client/server, and you need additional Delphi licenses for new team members, then from now on you are forced to purchase Enterprise licenses.

Arguably they may have a hard time trying to enforce this and some people might suggest that we can just ignore it. But whether or not that is the case, as an insight into the mindset of the management (or whoever it is that is making these decisions) at Embarcadero, it is revealing and, more particularly, upsetting.

Are they trying to kill Delphi ?

PROVENANCE

I stress, this is not speculation, rumour, scare-mongering or FUD.

I cannot and will not say how the post in that forum came to my attention. I certainly did not post it myself. But I can say that at first it was too outrageous and scandalous to believe. My initial reaction was disbelief that Embarcadero would try anything so foolish or mean spirited. So I checked and double-checked.

Had there been even the slightest question of doubt as to it’s authenticity I would not have mentioned it.

Of course, if Embarcadero want to retract this change and perhaps even deny it was ever going to happen, then I for one will be over the moon.

Now, I have to pack some bags and go door knocking on the local foreign diplomatic missions ….

——————————————————————-

Developing Win 8 with WinRT Cripple - Reasons
    Some clarification/correction to some of the statements on XE3 and beyond. RT is certainly different from traditional windows development from a both a technical and business perspective. From a technical perspective it’s certainly more locked down and less open for various reasons but we do plan to support RT and are working to that end. From a business perspective, much like the Apple iOS platform, consumer transactions will flow thru the Microsoft App Store, which is one of the reasons among others why things are locked down in RT. There is no over arching reason why third parties should not be able participate in the RT platform and store, and we plan to be there. As a third party tool developer this is business as usual. There are always puzzles to solve, and we work with the platform vendors to solve them.

However, that is not the goal for XE3, nor the drive for the Win8 support in XE3. There are millions of existing desktop applications for Windows, and the benefit of XE3 is developers can quickly and cost effectively migrate those applications forward to the Windows 8 UI experience on desktops and Slate devices including Surface Pro with minimal effort. “Metro” isn’t a technology, it’s a UX style guide – it’s been used WinCE Phones, XBox, Silverlight, in upcoming RT, and in new desktop applications like Office 2013. So to suggest there is a fake metro is like saying “Indigo” is a fake “Blue”. Metropolis UI is a desktop flavor of the Windows 8 UI Style, and it’s compatible with existing code bases.

To reiterate, the key benefit for XE3′s Win8 feature set – and it’s significant – is that it allows devs to rapidly migrate their applications to the Windows 8 OS and Style with minimal effort using the same codebase, and run them with the “metro” style on Windows 8 and intel based Slates/Surface and earlier Desktop Win OSes from XP to 7. Those same applications can also be retargeted to OSX Lion and Mountain Lion. A future version of Delphi will support RT and ARM and that will have a different goal and benefit. RT is a different ballgame.

8. Mannie | August 28, 2012 at 4:16 am | Permalink

EULA Change: No Client/Server in XE3 Pro. Not even 3rd Party.

GRANDFATHERING

Are they trying to kill Delphi ?

PROVENANCE

I stress, this is not speculation, rumour, scare-mongering or FUD.

9. Tiberiu | August 28, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Very bad news!
    EULA Change: No Client/Server in XE3 Pro. Not even 3rd Party.

10. EverLivingDelphi | August 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I Haven’t see the product, but I can see that it will be a very disappointing staff

11. Peter | September 2, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Dear Embarcadero Team.
    In a very few words : This is unfair business practice!
    We’ve bought RAD Studio XE2 Enterprise with SA, as we’ve expected new ARM toolchain will be included in a new release, i.e. XE3. We can accept that mobile studio will be delayed, but we can’t suffer additional license (for mobile studio) to buy. This will kill our and your business, simultaneously.

For single product and Pro edition - OK, extra money are needed and this should be right.

But for complete bundle in Ent edition it’s just a money-eating trick!

SA is not for fun, it’s for stability of our and your business.

Thank you for listening the community.

12. Peter | September 3, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Update for community members :

As correspondence with local Embarcadero representative implies, there is a high probability that Mobile Studio (Mobile Pack) will be included in RAD Studio bundle and therefore should be covered by SA. If this will be true, no one with higher product bundle should be worried about. Hopefully, Embarcadero will listening us.

13. Lewis Harris | September 3, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I have planned my product future on Delphi and the hope of an IOS complier.
    I can completely understand the product is not ready, after all I am a developer. I have to deliver that message some times.But, I do not know what I will do if a ‘mobile studio’ comes out that costs more money. The money isnt really the issue, its the brokem promise. Embarcadero, I am a BIG fan!! Please value the comments of you customers.

14. Wilfred Oluoch | September 5, 2012 at 3:30 am | Permalink

David I, lets make things simple. Really simple.

Embarcadero and customers are friends (like in real life).

One you purchase a product, Embarcadero should treat you like we would all treat our friends if we want them to continue liking us. Or if we want to continue with the relationship.

When you promise something, you deliver on it.

If you cant, you explain yourself and make up for it somehow; now or in the future, without making your friend bend backwards all over again.

Now, lets relate this to features that were there in XE2 and are not there in Xe3, and what is now promised and so on.

15. Paul Breen | September 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I liked Prism so much I bought Cooper, the Java version of Oxygene and I don’t plan to go from XE2 to XE3 because I don’t have to buy Rad Studio to get the new Oxygene. I am looking forward to the Cocoa version of Oxygene. RemObjects doesn’t miss deadlines like Embarcadero does. The guys with the over-clocked cerebellums are in Hanover Park, not ‘Frisco’. Their prices are far more reasonable too.

16. Mannie | September 8, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Why Delphi/C++ is not actively pushed for free in universities, schools and to students?

17. Pete Wason | September 19, 2012 at 7:46 am | Permalink

We’ve been using Delphi forever (ported TP code to D1). We got stuck on D6 for a long time, and finally made the jump to RS XE (Pro). SA was never mentioned. Then, less than 2 months later, RSXE2 came out, and we had to upgrade for almost the same price as XE cost us. Again, SA was never mentioned. Perhaps I mistakenly thought it was part of the license. Now XE3 is out, and my sales rep finally mentions SA, saying "it might help". I’m sure it will (after we lay out another $$,$$$), assuming that XE4 comes out within the SA period.

Unfortunately, after looking at our budget, we can’t afford the upgrade+SA. After reading the comments here, I’m not sure that we want to upgrade at all. We have a number of devs here who are familiar with M$ technologies. This could be the tipping point.