Recent cool Delphi and C++Builder blog posts….

While it might be a hot summer where you live, in the southern hemisphere it is opposite season.  For those developers who are sweating it out in the north, here are some recent cool Embarcadero Technologies developer tools blog postings from our community members.

Have a great summer/winter wherever you program!

1. Mike | July 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

What about the performance and others issues on Firemonkey that hasn’t been fixed so far.

Is embarcadero going to release XE3 and let us XE2 users with a unfinished product? Please don’t tell me about maintenance as excuse to have the problem fixed.

2. David Intersimone | July 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Team is working on a bunch of enhancements and improvements. Are there specific QC numbers that I should raise up to the team?

3. Mowaffa | July 21, 2012 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Will RightToLeft functionality be available in FMX? If so, when?

4. Roman Yankovsky | July 21, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

David,

Could you please take a look at http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=107177 ? It seems to be a showstopper for me as a component developer.

5. Peter | July 21, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

The migration path from VCL to FMX is very hard. A lot of "low level" properties and events from the VCL don’t exist in FMX. E.g. OnShow, OnKeyDown, IsChecked instead of Checked, TAction is missing and so on. I know, FMX is not VCL but I see no reason why that is missing. Our existing VCL code needs tons of ifdefs to workaround that.

6. David I | July 21, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Peter - join Anders Ohlsson next wednesday for his vcl to fmx webinar. Also try Mida Converter free Embarcadero edition to do the first work.

7. Chris | July 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Mike I’m follow your concern.

What are you guys at Embarcadero doing? I bought XE2 and Firemonkey is a alpha, bugs everywhere, even with 5 updates.

Embarcadero is sending invites to migration webinar to sell. Why I will migrate my VCL code to something that is totally brooked and in alpha stage.

I won’t pay another upgrade to have bug fixes, embarcadero should give us XE2 customers a FREE upgrade.

8. David Intersimone | July 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Chris - thanks for posting. If you have a list of FM things that we have not fixed yet, I will check the Quality Central (QC) postings. I am building all types of FireMonkey applications including examples for my 9 lesson "Getting Started" series of classes. We also have many other satisfied developers building real applications using FireMonkey on Windows and Mac. I would love to hear more specifics - you can choose to post comments here and/or send me an email to davidi at embarcadero dot com.

9. Mowaffa | July 24, 2012 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Thanks for ignoring my question posted three days ago.

10. David Intersimone "D | July 24, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Mowaffa - sorry, did not look back far enough in the comment thread to see you note. Right to Left support is on the roadmap for FireMonkey. I don’t know when it will appear but it along with accessibility (sight impaired) support are both on the list to be supported. Keep the specific suggestions for FireMonkey enhancements coming and we will forward them to Product Management and R&D. Thanks.

11. David Intersimone "D | July 24, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Mowaffa - one comment. You can set Bidi on a FM form to bdRightToLeft and visual components on the form will be right to left - like Tlabel, TEdit. I noticed that the Form caption itself is not right to left. On VCL - Bidi right to left also does the form caption. Will note this with R&D.