C++ 2011 standard approved by unanimous vote

I just heard from our C++ standards committee member, that the C++ FDIS (ISO/IEC FDIS 14882) has officially been approved by the ISO in a unanimous vote. 21 of 21 National Bodies voted to APPROVE. Well done everyone who has worked so hard on the updated C++ standard.

Even as we are finishing C++Builder XE2 for this year’s release, our C++ compiler team is also working on Embarcadero’s next generation C++ compiler which will support the updated, and now approved, C++ standard.

Bjarne Stroustrup’s C++ FAQ

Bjarne Stroustrup’s C++ Overview presentation

Bjarne Stroustrup’s C++Ox overview talk at University of Waterloo

Herb Sutter’s trip report from the March 2011 Madrid Meeting "We have FDIS"

C++ Standards Committee web site (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21)

1. Jennifer Kuiper | August 13, 2011 at 3:12 am | Permalink

That is good to hear, David. Good also that it is being mentioned (albeit between the lines) that Embarcadero remains committed to C++Builder. CU on September 15th in Holland. :)

2. Alister Christie | August 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I was just reading the interview with Bjarne Stroustrup in the Masterminds of Programming book, it’s interesting how long the C++ 0X standard took to be agreed upon.

3. Jon P | August 17, 2011 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hi David,
    boost support is also important - can your share what the state of boost support is with C++ Builder XE2? I ask because it went backwards with XE compared to 2010 - we weren’t able to build projects that made use of boost under XE that were fine under 2010 (with some boost hacks).
    Thanks,
    Jon

4. David I | August 17, 2011 at 6:55 am | Permalink

We’re still finishing C++Builder XE2 - so we’ll see what the final list of Boost libraries we will have when we release. Currently we are using Boost 1.39. Boost is a community project always in motion as you know. I’ll check with our C++ team about the compatibility between previous versions (2010 and XE) and see what might be the same or different in XE2. Boost Hacks are sometimes necessary given what the Boost libraries are trying to do and the status of our C++Ox (now officially C++2011) support. At the same time as the team is building C++Builder XE2, we have a separate team also working on our next generation C++ compiler and that will have full support for C++2011.

5. Jarek | August 21, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

David, saying next generation C++ compiler, you also mean 64bit c++ compiler?

6. Kalil | June 30, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Hi

I have been a MS VS user for many users, and always a big fan of C++ although I have been doing less and less of it the past few years because of dot net.

I just tried C++ Builder and it took me quite a while to get used to the interface. However I did a small database-related front end with it and I am really amazed. I cannot imagine doing this in VC++!!!

There seems to be general effort to move C++ into the 21st century and I am looking forward to XE3 release. Some of the items on my wish list are:
    - support for most of the newer C++ standard features
    - support for latest Boost version
    - support for mobile devices… yup… this is a niche that you guys can leverage as native C++ will always be faster, and this is important for mobile apps.

Keep up the good work!

7. David Intersimone | July 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Kalil - the team is working on C++11 support which will get you the complete latest language standard, latest boost, etc. Read about it in the C++ roadmap article at

{ 1 } Trackback

1. [...] link: Sip from the Firehose : C++ 2011 standard approved by unanimous vote Bookmark to: This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged david-intersimone, embarcadero, [...]